All Late Model, Dirt Modified, Mid-West Modified and Sprint Car bodies and cages must resemble contemporary full scale cars racing in “World of Outlaws” and “DIRT” sanctioned events. All corners of bodies and wings must be rounded for safety.
All height measurements are from bottom of chassis unless otherwise noted.
The only bodies legal for the Late Model class are those that have been approved by DirtOval.com and are listed on the DODC Approved Late Model body list. Any manufacturer who would like to have a body approved may contact DirtOval.com for approval specifications and instructions. Approved body lists will be amended on APRIL 1st and OCTOBER 1st of each year.
Molded portion of body can be no longer than 22”.
Late Model bodies may have openings for cylinder head, fuel tank access, glow plug, engine tuning, and exhaust outlets only. An under body support may be added to brace each rear quarter panel, but must hold it in stock position, cannot be flared out. No additional wings, flaps, spoilers, wickers, vents or doohickeys will be allowed. Body may not be altered in any way from its stock configuration ie: shortened, lengthened, narrowed, flared fenders etc. Front and rear windows may be removed at trim lines but a flat Lexan or similar material deck must be added in cockpit area. Bodies with add on roofs may leave front and rear windows in or out but roofs must be mounted in stock position. All four wheel wells must be cut out to appropriate scale dimensions.
- Rear Spoiler: maximum chord from body deck including any wickerbills:
2.00" for Foam/Street Rubber Tire
2.50" for Buggy Tire
- Rear Spoiler End Cap: See Drawing
- Maximum rear deck height from bottom of chassis is 4.0"
DODC Approved Late Model Body List: Effective: 10/01/12 thru 09/31/18
- Custom Works #9012 Eldora Late Model (10.0")
- Custom Works #9015 Springfield Late Model (10.0")
- Custom Works #9016 Paducah 2 Late Model (10.0")
- Custom Works #9070 Keystone Late Model (9.0")
- Custom Works #9071 Buckeye Late Model (9.5")
- Custom Works #9072 Mountaineer Late Model (10.0")
- McAllister #207 Tulsa Late Model
- McAllister #250 Vegas Late Model
- McAllister #252 Winchester Late Model
- McAllister #237 Bakersfield Late Model
- MR Kustoms #18HK030 Hurrikane Late Model (.030 Thick)
- MR Kustoms #18HK040 Hurrikane Late Model (.040 thick)
- BMS Racing #P103 Shadow
- Factory Works #7353 Rocket Late Model
- Factory Works #7357 Concord Late Model
- Shark RC (formerly C&M) #2010 Volunteer Late Model
- Shark RC (formerly C&M) #2010-003 Nightmare Late Model
- Shark RC (formerly C&M) #2011-001 Volunteer 10"
- Shark RC (formerly C&M) #2011-002 Nightmare HD 9.5"
- Stalker Bodies #009 Sniper 9 Late Model
- Stalker Bodies #010 Sniper Late Model
- Stalker Bodies #011 Specter 9.5
- Stalker Bodies #012 Specter 10
- Stalker Bodies Specter 9.0
- Stalker Bodies Prowler 10
- Protoform #1234-21 Cyclone 9.5 Late Model
- Protoform #1235-21 Cyclone 10.0 Late Model
- Protoform #1238-30 Nor'easter Late Model
General - Maximum Overall Length: 18.000". Maximum Chassis width: 4.025"
Cage – Sprint cars must have a scale appearing contemporary cage made out of rounded stock. The cage must be symmetrical left to right and mounted level to the chassis. Unrealistic shaped cages designed to exploit the rules below are not permitted. Maximum cage width at driver halo, down tubes, and top frame rail: 3.600". Maximum cage height 5.5" from top of chassis to top of cage at highest point. All cage and body components such as cage, bumpers, nerf bars, hoods, side panels, tanks, etc. must be mounted on the centerline of the cage. Chassis may not extend outside of the side panels by more than 1/4" on either side.
Bumpers – A flat, curved or tubular front bumper (or combination of) must be used and may not be designed to direct air or create downforce. Maximum height of front bumper is 1.75” from the bottom of the lowest point of the chassis. Scale appearing side nerf bars must be used on both sides of the car (left side of nitro sprint is optional due to clearance needed for nitro exhaust). A scale appearing rear hoop style bumper must be used. Bumpers and nerf bars must be made of rounded stock with no sharp edges.
Tail tank – A traditional scale appearing rounded style three dimensional rear fuel cell must be used.
Headers - Three dimensional scale appearing exhaust headers must appear on both sides of car in “engine area” (left side of nitro sprint is optional due to clearance needed for nitro exhaust).
Side panels – Flat side panels may be made from molded or fabricated polycarbonate. Maximum height of side panels in front of the driver cockpit is 3.80” from the bottom of the chassis. Must have minimum of 3/4" high by 2.5" long openings on both sides of cage in driver compartment. Additional material may be used/added to either side of the side panel openings to replicate a scale appearing driver but may not exceed 1" x 1". (Note that the top wing mounts may cover these openings for winged classes.) Side panels may not extend beyond the rear of the cage by more than 0.25”. Side panels may not extend above or in front of the front downtubes. Scale appearing driver arm guards and engine vents may be used but cannot extend more than 3/8" from the side panels. No other flares or turnouts designed to deflect, trap and/or form a pattern for air to travel in a directed manner are permitted except for those used to cool electronics.
Hood Area – A scale appearing hood must be used and is defined as beginning at the front axle and ending at the front of the driver cockpit. The hood must be symmetrical from left to right. The hood must be tall enough and wide enough to allow room for a scale engine intake and air cleaners (no unrealistically low or flat hoods). Minimum vertical gap from top of hood to bottom of front cage crossbar: .750". The hood may not drop below the nearest point of the side panels by more than 3/8” and may not have any channels more than 0.25” deep designed to trap or direct air.
Nose Area – A molded or fabricated nose piece may be used and is defined from the front axle forward to the front bumper. Front bumper may not extend more than 3” from front axles. Nose piece (any Lexan) must be at least 3/8" back from the leading edge of the front bumper. Maximum width of nose piece/bumper is 3.75". Maximum width of any surface designed to add downforce is 3.125”. Nose piece may not extend above the cage downtubes or an imaginary line connecting the downtubes if the cage is a split design.
***Note that the hood and nose piece can be one piece or multiple pieces for the purpose of easy access to electronics and suspension but are defined as above for purposes of aero rules.
Front wing/mounts – For front wing dimensions see appropriate wing drawing pdf. The front wing center section may not extend in front of the front bumper. Front wing mounts may be made of Lexan but may not exceed 1.75” in length and 1.75” in height and may not extend in front of or behind the center section of the wing.
Top wing/mounts – For top wing dimensions see appropriate wing drawing pdf. Top wing minimum height at leading edge: 5.00" from bottom of chassis. Top wing maximum height at leading edge: 6.50" from bottom of chassis. Center section and side panels must be made from at least 3 separate pieces of polycarbonate, carbon or aluminum material. All corners and edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges. Main and Front wings must be mounted so that they are centered on cage, no offset wings. Wing center sections must have all 4 corners set at 90 degree angles, no canted or angled panels. Wings must also be mounted level from side to side. Center section of wing may not extend beyond leading or trailing edge of side panels. Side panels must have braces that hold side panel rigid at 90deg. to center section during race conditions. Two braces are required from top of the center foil to the left sideboard and one brace is permitted below the center foil to the right side board. Braces can be a maximum of .750" wide and front edge of front brace must be no more than 1.5” back from side panel leading edge. Side Panels may have front, back, top and bottom turnouts of no more than .375" and are included in max dimension. Flat foil center sections will be allowed a .250” turndown at the leading edge.
Visors - A scale appearing visor may be used on any wingless sprint car. The visor must be flat and follow the contour of the front downtubes. No wider than the width of the downtubes where it is attached and no longer than 1".
No additional Lexan or any other material may be mounted to nerf bars, bumpers, cage, wing or any other part of the car that will trap, alter, or direct air flow for the purpose of gaining an aerodynamic advantage.
The 6x6" wing will be the standard Sprint Car wing size. Race organizers and series directors may at their discretion allow the optional 7x7" wing rule for races and series using buggy or rubber tires.
Top wings are mandatory and front wings are optional for all sprint classes. Race organizers may also choose to run wingless sprint classes at their discretion where top and front wings are not allowed.
6x6" Foam/Street Rubber Tire Wing: See Drawing
7x7" Buggy Tire Wing: See Drawing
Top wing mount cannot exceed the dimensions of this template: See Drawing
Eastern Dirt Modified (NEW STYLE)
Front bumper must be mounted flat and cannot be angled up to act as a wing. An additional front body panel is allowed on the front of the car but may not extend forward of the front bumper. Front and rear windows must be removed and any clear portion is included in max roof length dimension. Side windows must remain clear. No rear wheel cutouts are allowed on the horizontal plane of the inner. Right and Left rear wheel wells must be cut out to appropriate scale dimensions.
Dimensional specifications Drawing: EDM Specifications
- Must have 2 side panel braces as specified in drawing that must hold side panels at 90 degrees to inner panel both statically and during racing conditions.
Roof specifications Drawing: Roof Specifications
- Must have rear roof spoiler Min 1/8" Max 1/4" bend DOWN between 45 and 90 degrees
Side panels must be no larger than one of the following three choices:
Bicknell Teo Troyer Full Size Templates
- All fabricated body panels ie: Doors, Windows, Roof, and Inner Panel must be made from minimum .020" thick Lexan/polycarbonate material (.020" measurement does not include any decal or wrap)
- All Vacuum formed body panels must be pulled from minimum .030" thick Lexan/polycarbonate material. Separate hoods and front body panels may be pulled from .020" Lexan/polycarbonate material.
- Inner panel and spoiler cannot extend beyond rear of side panels
- Outer front edge of inner panel cannot extend beyond the front of the door but may taper from that point forward of the door toward the hood at a point no more than 1.5" forward of the door.
- Inner panel must be flat (on 1 plane) from spoiler base to a point within 1.5" from front of door.
- Maximum length of complete car: 19.5"
- Both sides of body must be at 90 ° to the rear of body and or spoiler
- Door/side panel may have a 90 ° "BEND IN" max 3/8" at bottom for strength
- Maximum front bumper width: 5.0"
- Front body panel max width: 4.0"
- Front body panel max chord length: 3.00"
- Max Side lip on front panel and Hood 1/4"
- Rear spoiler: max chord is 3.0" from body deck including any wickerbills
- Left Side Panel must be inside a straight line drawn from the outside of both left side wheels/tires and outside of left side of chassis.
- Bodies must have at least 1/3 of right rear tire exposed when viewed from front, top and rear of car.
Inner panel must have SCALE APPEARING hood that extends from at least the door leading edge to at least the leading edge of the roof. The following specifications are relative to the hood in the area defined in previous sentence.
- Hood must be centered on inner panel
- Hood Width: Minimum 2.5"
- Minimum hood height for entire length is: .750"
- Clearance between top of hood and leading edge of roof is min. 1.0" and max 2.0"
Eastern Dirt Modified (OLD STYLE)
Inner panel must have hood that extends from front of inner panel to at least the leading edge of the roof. Front bumper must be mounted flat and cannot be angled up to act as a wing. An additional front body panel is allowed on the front of the car but may not extend forward of the front bumper. Front and rear windows must be removed and any clear portion is included in max roof length dimension. Side windows and A pillars must attach to side panels at top edge of door and must also contact entire length of roof (i.e. no large gaps between roof and top of windows, no T-tops). Roof width must be at least .500" narrower than inner panel max width dimension. Side windows must remain clear and no portions of side window may overlap side or sail panel. As an alternative side window material may be removed but A pillar must still remain intact from front of door to front of Roof. Roof, windows, side and sail panels must be symmetrical. Front edge of Door/side panel may not extend past the centerline of the front axle with wheels straight. Front of sail panel may be no more than 1” forward of rear tire leading edge and cannot overlap side windows. No additional lips or flaps are allowed with the exception of a .250" bend at top and bottom of side and sail panel. Reasonable size and quantities of braces are allowed if desired. Bodies must have at least 1/3 of right rear tire exposed when viewed from front, top and rear of car. No rear wheel cutouts are allowed on the horizontal plane of the inner panel.
- Maximum length: 22.000"
- Maximum width of inner panel: 8.000"
- Minimum hood width: 2.000"
- Minimum hood height: .750"
- Maximum front bumper width: 5.000"
- Front body panel max width: 4.500"
- Front body panel max chord length: 3.500"
- Max roof width: 7.000"
- Minimum roof height: 5.000" from bottom of chassis
- Maximum height of body at highest point: 7.000" from bottom of chassis
- Maximum roof length: 6.500" plus additional .500” rear spoiler allowed on roof
- Maximum side panel length: 17.000"
- Rear spoiler: max chord is 3.125" from body deck including any wickerbills
(All measurements taken with car ready to race at ride height.)
MWM specifications drawing: See Drawing
- (A) Width: Min 9.25” / Max 10.50” (body must cover at least 7/8ths of both rear tires.)
- (B) Length: Min 21” / Max 23” (measured at extreme ends of car)
- Front bumper must be mounted flat and cannot be angled up to act as a wing.
- (C) Side windows must remain clear and can be cut out provided the cutout is flush with the center panel deck and a false cage or roof support is used to maintain the rigidity of the roof panel. Windows must also be the same on both sides.
- False Roll Cages must be mounted parallel with the side panels, cannot be thicker than .250, and may not be used to alter air flow in any way. False Roll Cages must be void of material in areas that do not mimic frame tubing, driver’s seat or helmet.
- Any bracing or supports used for the side panels or quarter panels must be a maximum of .750” wide and not be used to direct airflow.
- Additional wings, flaps, wickers, spoilers or other aero devices used to direct air are prohibited unless specified in these rules.
- (D) Rear wheel openings must be to a minimum diameter of appropriate tire (3.25” for buggy tires) measured from the ground.
- Fabricated Bodies: Center panel, Hood, and Noses must be made from 0.030” thick polycarbonate material. Side Panels, Doors, Windows, Roof, can be made from minimum 0.020” thick polycarbonate material (measurements do not include any decal or wrap.)
- All Vacuum Formed body panels must be pulled from minimum 0.030” thick polycarbonate material.
Center Panel (main inner center section panel)
- (E) Max Center Panel Width: 10.25” (measured as panel surface area inside the side panel mounting tabs.)
- Must be the same width front and back.
- Center Panel cannot extend past the side panels and must be flush with the back of the rear quarter panels.
- Entire center panel must be flat (on one plane) from spoiler base to front edge of panel, terminating with a max .375” radius turn down or roll down featuring a minimum .500 lip (firewall) at a 90°°angle to the center panel.
- Must be mounted parallel to bottom of chassis with maximum rake of .500” difference from leading edge of panel (before bend down) to trailing edge at spoiler base (measured from bottom of chassis).
- No rear wheel cutouts are allowed on the horizontal plane of the center panel.
- (F) Length: Min 4.5” / Max 6.5” Width: Min 6.0” / Max 7.5”
- (G) Roof Location: Min 2.5” / Max 3.5”
- Front & Rear edges of roof must have bend down of Min .125” / Max .250” between 45° and 90° (no roof spoilers).
- (H) Clearance between center panel and top of roof: Min 1.50" / Max 2.25”
- (H) Max rake of .500" difference from leading edge to trailing edge measured from the center panel to top of roof panel.
- Roof must be mounted square to the side panels.
- Roof panel must be 90° at all (4) corners.
- Roof panel cannot be dished.
- Support fins, ribs, or any ridges may not extend higher than .125” over the plane of the roof panel.
- Top of "A" pillar must terminate at front edge of roof.
- (I) Bottom of "A" pillar must terminate at the front edge of the side panel/door with a max height of .250” from top of side panel.
- (J) Sail panels cannot extend higher than the roof line or contain any sort of wicker or flaps, and must be the same shape and configuration on both sides.
- (J1) Sail panels must curve or angle down starting at no more than 1” behind the rear edge of the roof and end at a point no further back than .750” past the rear deck with a max height of 1.5” angled forward to meet at the corner of the deck.
- (J2) Sail panels cannot end any further forward than 2” from the rear deck.
- (J3) Sail panels can be bowed out, but cannot bow out past the plane of the side panels at large.
- Sail panels can be cut out provided: 1) it does not affect the minimum range of the Side Panel template, 2) all remaining pillars and sail borders are a minimum .500" across, 3) normal rigid integrity of the roof and body is maintained thru inner supports and/or a false roll cage, 4) cut-out does not go below center panel deck.
- (K) Length: Min 12" / Max 14" (Measured at all points of the panel)
- (L) Height: Min 3” / Max 3.5” (Measured at all point of the panel)
- Both sides must be symmetrical in length and mounting location (cannot be offset from each other).
- Top of side panels must be flush to the plane of the center panel.
- Leading edge of side panel can be angled back from the bottom to the pillar, but must be a straight edge. (no wheel cut outs)
- (M) **Minimum distance between leading edge of side panel and back edge of front tire: .750” (measured with tire pointed forward and car sitting at resting ride height using a .750” block set down between the tire and panel as a no-go gauge)
- (N) **Minimum distance from the center of the front axle back to the rear of the quarter panel: 15.75”.
- (** = be sure to leave room for front wheelbase and kick-up adjustments as well as different tire sizes for the min .750” gap)
- Side panels can be flat or convex in shape (bowed out) as long as they fit within the overall max width, but cannot be concave in shape. “Step outs” at the bottom of panel are ok.
- Side panels as well as rear quarter panels cannot be tucked under center deck panel.
- (O) Hood Length: Min 3" / Max 4.75" (Measured from the firewall to the point where the nose and hood meet)
- Front of hood must be the same width as the Nose Panel. The hood must be flat and can taper out to the firewall but cannot cover front tires or exceed the width of the main deck panel. Max rake of .250" difference from leading edge to trailing edge measured from the bottom of the chassis.
- (P) The “engine area” of the hood cannot be enclosed. A max hood side panel of .750” is allowed, but cannot extend above the plane of the hood panel.
- (Q) Nose Panel Width: Min 4" / Max 5.50" (Measured as panel surface area inside the end plates)
- (Q) Nose Panel Length: Min 4" / Max 5.50" (Does not include a max allowable .500” mounting tab)
- Nose panel must not be concave (dished) in shape or contain any ribs, wickers, flaps, or openings to direct airflow.
- (R) Side panels of Nose must be perpendicular to the nose panel (no flares). Allowable extension of side panels above the plane of the Nose Panel is maximum .250" at every point along the plane of the nose panel.
Spoiler & End Caps
- (S) Spoiler max length: 1.5" including a max .250” wicker. Spoiler cannot be wider than center panel.
- No more than (2) spoiler center braces allowed. Center braces can be no larger than optional spoiler end caps.
- End Caps cannot extend past end of Side Panel by more than .750”. (Included in the Max Length of Body)
- End Cap Size: Length 2.75" Height 1.5". Height is area of End Cap above the rear deck.
Appendix A: Weight Conversion Chart For Different Scales